As many of you know, I have spent the last several years working on a book called "Girlfag: A Life Told In Sex and Musicals." A "girlfag," says Wikipedia, is "a biologically female individual who feels a strong romantic or erotic attraction towards gay or bisexual men, or their social environment." (Her biologically male equivalent is called a "guydyke.")
I started working on "Girlfag" while working on my MFA, and have continued to shape it since then. The book is partly a personal memoir and partly an exploration of the whole idea of girlfags, including such historical figures as Pharaoh Hatchepsut, George Sand and Mary Renault. And it has lots and lots of musical theater, because that's just the kind of girl(fag) I am.
I've decided to bring my twenty years of small publishing expertise to bear on making "Girlfag" a reality this year. Toward that end, I have founded a new publishing company, Beyond Binary Books, which will publish literary works from the edges of conventional categories of gender, orientation, race and class. "Girlfag" will be its first publication in the fall of this year.
Although my years in small publishing have taught me how to wring a lot of juice out of a small amount of money, this project does require some funding. That's why I'm asking for your help.
I've started a Kickstarter crowdsourcing site for the Girlfag project, at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/j
1. Be a backer! Even if you only have a dollar or two to spare, every little bit helps -- and I've provided incentives ranging from signed postcards to personal appearances, for every possible level of participation. Becoming a backer at any level will ensure that you're kept posted on the progress of the book from manuscript to finished publication.
2. Boost the signal! At the end of this email, I'll provide a short note that you can:
- forward to your personal or business mailing list
- include in your newsletter
- post on your Facebook, Myspace or Livejournal page
- share on Fetlife and other social sites dedicated to alternative sexual and relationship structures
- discuss with your clients, students and friends
3. Tell your friends! Help me build buzz about girlfags and guydykes in general, and this book in particular. The more people that know we exist, the greater the audience for the book (and the more options for relationships that meet the needs of people who aren't well served by traditional categories).
Thank you for anything you can do, and for being a part of my life.
Janet W. Hardy
I'd like you to take a look at the Kickstarter site for a new book project written by my colleague Janet Hardy, the co-author of the well-known polyamory guidebook "The Ethical Slut," at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/j